Monday, July 20, 2015

The Adventures of Hermana Mute

Dear Family: 

Well, goodbye my hondureña, hello brasilera! I was sad to see Hermana Matamoros go, but that`s just how things go on the mission. Things are always changing! 

Speaking of changes, the weather has been changing lots, and I got sick again. :( Just got a bad sore throat. I called the mission nurse just to ask if she had any suggestions, and she sent me to the doctor. The doctor took a look, and said nothing out of the ordinary. Just keep drinking lemon tea, citrus juice, and ibuprofen. Sooooo that`s what I`ve been doing! Mostly I don`t want it to stick around long, so I`ve been doing everything possible to get better. And it`s been working! I can talk again, at least there`s that. :)

So anyway, we stayed inside for a few days to try and get me better, and also because I couldn`t talk, so teaching lessons wasn`t really an option. The good news is that Hermana Dutra`s mom is deaf, so her first language is sign language! The bad news is that it`s neither my first nor second, so we just reverted to using the whiteboard. Because she`s new to the area I had to tell her about all the members and investigators so we could do our weekly planning, so that explains the photo. "Weekly planning for mutes". It was fun haha. 

Hermana Dutra is great, although it`s been a little challenging, just with the language. I`m used to having companions with spanish as their first language, who kind of make up for the spanish that I don`t know. But with hermana Dutra, she`s still learning the language just as much as I am, so we`ve pulled out our dictionaries again, and use a lot of sound effects and hand motions to explain things. I think I probably will learn sign language by the end of this transfer! :) 

Well, that`s about it for this week. This coming week I should have a little more to say, in hopes that we`ll be able to leave the pench a little more often. :) 

have a great week! 

Hermana Cannon


No comments:

Post a Comment