Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Something New and Interesting

I guess it shouldn't be such a surprise to me that every time I decide to scramble out of the crevice of my mattress and participate in a non-sedentary activity, my life becomes less boring. Do the math Emilyn, it's a simple equation, easily first-year algebra. One semester out of math and she's already forgetting how to solve problems? Geez Louise.

Anyway, I think even the action-packed life is often graced with the world's surprises. Like the happenstance I came across today during my off-my-behind festivities. Ahem.

Just after locking my bike to the dumpster behind the bank, I saw two ladies in the small parking lot, one coming out of the building, and the other going in. The lady coming out had light blue jeans, white cotton hair, and a bright pink, collared jacket. The lady going in had light blue jeans, white cotton hair, and a bright pink, collared jacket. Wait. What? That's right my friends. They were CLONES. Talk about embarrassing. I can only imagine confidently flaunting my way through town with that kind of bold and hip attire only to find the same style choices playing back thread for thread on another woman. The nerve.

The question is, who wore it better?

No, the far more inquisitive and articulate question is, wha? My first thought is that they're together. They just finished at their synchronized swimming competition, or are meeting up before attending their Never Too Old to Wear Pink Club. Wrong! They didn't greet or even acknowledge each other. They calmly and slowly passed through the twilight zone and moved on with their lives. I guess they could have been swim-meet contenders, too proud to condescend to an arch-enemy hello. Or maybe it was disrespectful to comment on a fellow NTOWP member's pink-wearing business. Whatever the case, it kinda freaked me out. After finishing my bank errands and exiting the building myself, I almost expected another brown-haired college freshman with a scarf and khaki pants to come riding up main street on her bike.

But, alas, it was just me. Just Emilyn, drifting a little wobbly down the sidewalk due to the rough cement work and my recent favoring of the right pedal since my left peddler is still causing me a little trouble in the knee area. (Currently icing it. See last post).

Moral of the story is, if you don't have a clone, your life is one of two things. It is either a) too boring and blah to be considered, or b) too original and awesome to be fathomed. And let's just say life goes a little better if we choose to live assuming the latter.

Oh. And if you do happen to find a clone in the mysterious forest of life, acknowledge them. Shake their hand, search their face for the truth of life, and then nod your head in understanding and say, with a tear of joy if you can manage, "I know."  Because chances are, you do.


2 comments: